Program Highlights for Montevideo, Uruguay
- Experience a unique opportunity to study and explore the Rio de la Plata region of Uruguay and Argentina, including its Spanish, Italian and African cultural influences.
- Take courses in Spanish, activism and gender, Latin American studies, business, viticulture and agribusiness in one of the most important universities in the country.
- Live in and enjoy the thriving cultural scene of Montevideo: tango, carnival, ferias, live shows and theatre are part of daily life. Montevideo is consistently rated as having the highest quality of life of any city in Latin America.
- Discover some of the most beautiful places in South America with the tours offered, the breathtaking and lively Buenos Aires, the historical Colonia del Sacramento city, amazing Patagonia and one of the new seven wonders of the world, Iguazu Falls.
- Explore the outdoor way of life in Montevideo specially along La Rambla, with several beaches, public festivals and sports.
- The USAC Resident Director and staff are present on-site full-time to welcome and support you during your term abroad.
Why Study in Montevideo?
This program focuses on Spanish Language, Latin American studies, gender and business. Explore the rich culture and contributions of the area known as the Rio de la Plata, which is the river and estuary that forms a border between Argentina and Uruguay.
Courses such as Rio de la Plata - People and Culture Rio de la Plata: Latin American Social Revolutions, Cinema of Uruguay and Argentina, Latin American Cuisine, and Dances of Latin America will introduce you to these two "brother nations" and their political, economic, and lifestyle similarities and differences. The Spanish language courses allow you to complete up to one year of Spanish language coursework in one semester, or in the eight-week summer sessions. Well-known in Latin America as a progressive society, Uruguay is the right place to study gender and activism. You can take interesting and hands-on courses in business, viticulture, and health management.
The program is based in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay and a port city with a massive coastal promenade where locals enjoy strolling, exercising, and socializing. Known for its vibrant, laid-back lifestyle, the host city also offers a robust music, theater, and arts scene where many performances are held at Teatro Solis, Montevideo's renowned theatre built in 1856 or at the public festivals held at parks, plazas or La Rambla. USAC chose to locate the program in Uruguay due to its safety, political, financial, and economic stability.
ORT-Pocitos is the host university and is located in a middle-class neighborhood. An international and non-denominational university, it is the first and largest private university in the country with 10,000 students. The campus is newer, modern, and quite nice. This convenient location offers easy access to gymnasiums, La Rambla, parks, many stores, cafeterias, and banking.
You can enroll in 12 to 18 credits per semester. USAC offers intensive language courses grouped into tracks in which courses are taught sequentially back-to-back within one semester. If you have already taken the first course in a track, you do not have to take it again for credit, but you must audit it to be prepared for success at the next level.
Many course-related field trips, tours and studies are organized throughout your study abroad to enhance your learning. Some of the field trips, optional tours and field studies include Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Colonia del Sacramento, Iguazu Falls, Piriapolis and Punta del Este. There will also be extracurricular no cost activities organized for you to immerse and explore, including the Buddy Program with local students, indoor soccer, photography and museum workshops, theatre night, beach activities, a visit to Palacio Legislativo, art expo openings, carnival show, graffiti tours and other social events.
2022-23 App. Cycle
- Fall/Yearlong: Open
- Deadline Extended: June 1
- Spring: Open
- Deadline: Oct 15
2023-24 App. Cycle
Summer and Semester Programs:
Preferred GPA: 2.5