Why Study with USAC?
For more than 35 years, University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) has provided university students with affordable, valuable study abroad programs and contributed to the internationalization of universities in the U.S. and abroad. We currently have more than 50 programs in 27 countries and students from any university are welcome to participate; more than 800 universities around the world have gone on a USAC program.
Our goal is for your USAC experience to be fully rewarding and to expand your knowledge of another culture. Studying abroad has lasting benefits including:
- Change Your Life: explore something different than the routine, grow as an individual, learn about yourself.
- Gain New Perspective: experience life outside your borders, make new friends, live with and learn from people of different values, beliefs, and celebrations than your own.
- Discover Your Passions: get inspired, test your assumptions, let life surprise you.
- Enrich Your Education: blur the lines between inside and outside the classroom, get a new angle on your major, select courses not offered at your home university, learn a language.
- Stay on Track to Complete Your Degree: earn university credit, fulfill major/minor requirements, gain experience through volunteering or sign-up for an internship.
- Distinguish Yourself: make yourself more marketable to future employers, enhance your interpersonal skills, benefit from your unique understanding of a new part of the world.
- Demonstrate Your Adaptability: prove your ability to work with different people, your willingness to communicate across cultural or language barriers, your sense of adventure and problem-solving.
- Accomplish More Than Imagined: develop confidence, succeed in taking risks and stretching yourself, try new things.
- Prepare for the Future: consider new directions, earn credit and experiences in preparation for graduate/professional school or a career, deepen your knowledge and skills for use in any future situation.
- Open the Doors to the Next Opportunity! So much is possible! Students have found new passions, new majors/minors, new job connections, new business opportunities, new directions, new vision. What will you find?
Find out more about USAC's nontraditional study abroad programs and explore our interactive map for in-depth details on our study abroad locations.
USAC’s mission is to provide students with the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to succeed in the global society of the twenty-first century. We strive to provide an authentic, quality context in which students may grow into engaged citizens of the world, not only in the classroom but also through fieldtrips, integrated living and academic experiences, sports, internships, and volunteer and service learning opportunities.
We pride ourselves on providing well-rounded, academically sound and credible programs in non-traditional locations or in unique parts of more traditional places. By choosing a USAC program, you have flexibility in the length and time of your study (short-term summer or January programs from three to ten weeks, to semester, trimester, or year options) and a wide range of courses to choose from, plus small class sizes, a multitude of disciplines taught in English, and language study at any level of proficiency from beginning to advanced and with no language prerequisite. Many of our locations have the option of intensive language study, where you can earn up to two years-worth of credit in one semester. USAC alumni give our programs a 94% recommendation rate.
Our programs feature outstanding on-site staff and support from USAC and/or host university staff and services. USAC programs are stable and well-established, benefiting from the longevity, experience, passion, and wisdom of many of our staff. In addition to excellent academic offerings, USAC programs offer a wide array of informal and formal opportunities to enrich your time abroad and immerse yourself in your host culture, integrating with the local and global community. Internships, field study, and service learning courses offer for-credit opportunities to combine tangible experience and university credit. Volunteer opportunities, field trips and tours, activities with locals and as part of the host campus, cultural and sporting opportunities, and much more provide social and cultural context—both meaningful and enjoyable — to your studies abroad.
As a non-profit, university-based organization, we understand the financial pressures students face to finance their educations. We are committed to maintaining modest fees for our programs and in addition work to provide scholarships and access to other means of financing in order to provide an affordable study abroad opportunity with USAC.
Living and learning in another culture not only provides the competitive edge that today’s employers are looking for, but also offers a life-changing experience. The benefits of study abroad are multifaceted and extend far beyond the classroom—there is no substitute for the experience. Your opportunity to enhance your future prospects and have this life-changing experience is here now!