Internships for Pau, France
Due to heightened concerns about student health and safety we are suspending internship placements, volunteer work, and service-learning projects in health care facilities at all USAC program sites for the 2020-21 academic year. If you have any questions, please contact the USAC internship team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships are available in the spring semester only. Internships are optional and included in your program fees. They range from 1-3 credits and are counted as part of your credit load. Interns earn credit, but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills.
Internship students are expected to stay in Pau until mid-May. The work will be done in a French-speaking environment so you must have taken at least six semesters of college French in order to be eligible. You should be able to communicate at an advanced language level in both oral and written French.
Possible internships placements in Pau include:
- Le Nid Bearnais - Croix-Rouge Française - A medical center for handicapped children working to optimize the care of children and support families on a psychological and administrative level - 1 position available.
- Fromagerie Alexandre - A local cheese shop where student interns will participate in daily operations, including washing, regulating, and rotating the cheese, cleaning the work areas, filling orders and communicating with co-workers and customers - 1 position available.
- La République des Pyrénées - A local newspaper headquarteredd in Pau. Student interns will help journalists with articles and interviewing, as well as creating videos about current events - 1 position available.
- Local Bakeries - Students will assist with making pastries, selling baguettes, and put products on the shelves - 1 position available.
- Francis Miot store and "La Féérie Gourmande" Factory - A jam and chocolate producer and exporter. Student will help with packaging and placing the product in the store as well as with marketing and translation - 2 positions available.
- Lycée St Dominique, Ecole Pierre et Marie Curie, Lycée St John Perse - English language teaching in local schools - 5 positions available. (Yearlong students only)
- La Médiathèque de Pau - a multimedia library where student interns will help customers and with participate in cultural events - 1 position available.
- Pau Golf Club - First golf club on the continent in Billère, near Pau. Students will work at the reception desk and assist in events - 1 position available.
- Chocolate de Neuville - an internationally renowned French chocolate shop where students will help with packaging and with product placement in the store in addition to helping customers - 1 position available.
- Usine des Tramways (Archives Ville de Pau) - City archives where students will help customers, oversee the reading room, work with original documents, guide school classes, and work on cultural events - 1 position available.
- Local Offices of the Prison and Palais de Justice - Work with employees and present on the differences between the criminal justice system in the US and France - 1 position available.
- Librairie l'Escampette et Librairie Tonnet - A local bookstore where students will communicate with customers and writers, help with events like public readings, and prepare orders for the English section - 2 positions available.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency
A $200 refundable fee is charged and returned upon successful completion of the internship. Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site.