Chinese Studies in Chiang Mai
Participate in USAC's alternate Chinese Studies option located in Chiang Mai, Thailand. During this program, students can study and immerse themselves in Chinese language and culture while living in the ornate "Land of Smiles."
Why study Chinese in Chiang Mai, Thailand?
Chiang Mai has a vibrant Chinese community and a high concentration of people with Chinese-Thai ancestry, making Chinese a much-studied and often-spoken language in the region. Students will see first-hand how Chinese descendants in Chiang Mai have played a significant role in the city’s economic and historical development.
- Take immersive Chinese language studies at Chiang Mai University, which hosts an established library of more than 3,200 volumes of books and videos in Chinese. It also offers HSK/HSKK certification exams at various times throughout the semester.
- Supplement your language study with a course in modern Chinese culture and society or choose additional electives from among the regular offerings of the Chiang Mai program.
- Immerse yourself in the large and active Chinese student community on campus and work with a language partner to practice and develop Chinese language skills.
- Experience Thai culture through field trips and student activities in the city, mountain regions, rivers, rainforests, national parks or nature preserves.
- The USAC Resident Director and staff are on-site full-time to welcome and support you during your term abroad.
Chinese Studies Courses in Chiang Mai
Chinese language is offered at the intermediate and advanced levels. In each summer session you may take one 3-credit language course plus an additional 3-credit elective in modern Chinese culture and society or another elective. You may enroll in one or both sessions and take 3-7 credits per session.
Spring 2024 | Fall 2024 | Spring 2025
Intensive Chinese language is taught sequentially in a language track format at the intermediate and advanced levels. You may enroll in two or three courses within a 9-credit language track and select your remaining electives from our regular offerings in Chiang Mai, including courses on Chinese culture and society.
How to Apply
The Chinese Studies in Thailand option is part of USAC’s regular program in Chiang Mai and includes housing options, field trips, and group activities.
Chiang Mai On-Site Staff Resident Director
The Chiang Mai program has as Resident Director (RD) who is responsible for the overall operations of the program, including securing appropriate student housing, hiring outstanding faculty, organizing exciting field trips and overseeing your general well-being.
Chaidarun “Jum” Tippawan is the RD and speaks English and Thai fluently. She received her master’s degree from Uppsala University in Sweden. Malisa “Mali” Boonruang, Sirisorn “Siri” Sittirin, and Keatisak “Keat” Chaipatanapruck, the Chiang Mai Program team members, wholeheartedly help every student out with any matter as well as overseeing course enrollment. Mali and Siri are alumni of Chiang Mai University and Chiang Mai natives while Keat is an expert in locating internship positions for students.
The USAC staff will meet the group flight at the airport and provide the mandatory on-site orientation as well as additional support and resources while you are on the program. Moreover, all of the faculty for the program, in addition to teaching excellent courses, can also give the best advice on how to live and study in Thailand.
2024-25 Application Cycle
- Summer 2024: Open
- Session I or I&II deadline: March 15
- Session II deadline: April 15
- Fall/Yearlong 2024-25: Open
- Deadline: May 15
- Spring 2025: Open
- Deadline: Oct 15
Preferred Minimum GPA: 2.5
- Summer: 50 students
- Semester: 60 students