Program Highlights for Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Experience the charm of exotic and ancient culture while you live and study in a center of Thai trade, tourism, and academic activity.
- Enjoy a wide range of field trips, including a field study with the Karen Hill Tribe people, as well as elephant bathing and feeding and bamboo rafting.
- Explore the "land of smiles" and real Buddhism in a country that is 95 percent Buddhist.
- Visit lovely mountain regions featuring rivers, rainforests, national parks, nature preserves, and tea and coffee plantations.
- The USAC Resident Director and staff are present on-site full-time to welcome and support you during your term abroad.
Why Study In Chiang Mai?
The Chiang Mai program is the perfect opportunity to live and study in a lively, vibrant city in one of the most scenic areas of an already very beautiful country. The curriculum integrates multiple disciplines in order to respond to the ever-changing issues and events surrounding the country and region. The program is ideal for students who are interested in the economics, philosophy, politics, religions, culture, and language of Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries, in a city that is manageable, walkable, exotic, and unforgettable. In exploring Chiang Mai and the surrounding area, you will discover both what makes it a beloved part of Thailand for visitors and locals alike; though a popular destination, while living and studying there you will find easy access to non-touristy areas for a unique, colorful, profound experience.
You can stay for a summer, semester or the year. The summer Chiang Mai program offers five-week sessions (Session I and II) that can be taken individually or together to form an 10-week session. There are two curricular block to choose from.
Students in either summer session or both sessions can choose courses in Asian Economics, Politics, and Culture Studies. This option provides flexibility in the mixture of courses you choose and gives you the option of attending one or both summer session.
2021-22 App. Cycle
Summer Session II (5 weeks): Late application possible contact USAC
2022-23 App. Cycle
Summer Sessions: Opens 9/1
Fall/Yearlong: Opens 9/1
Spring/Spring Accelerated: Opens 9/1
Preferred GPA: 2.5
Summer: 50 students
Semester: 60 students