Skip to main content

Spain Passport and Visa Information


To study abroad, you must have a signed, valid passport from your country of citizenship that will not expire for a minimum of 6 months after your planned program end date. If you do not have a passport, or it's about to expire, make sure you apply or renew it as soon as possible!

U.S. Citizens can refer to the U.S. Department of State’s website for more information regarding passports.


A student visa is official permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. It typically comes in the form of a stamp or sticker that is placed directly onto a page in your passport.

All U.S. passport holders must obtain a student visa through a Spanish consulate/embassy prior to departure.

The visa process can take 4-8 weeks or longer to complete. This includes gathering application materials, application submission, and application processing time. Certain consulate’s may require you to schedule an in-person visa appointment to submit your application. Requesting an appointment with specific consulates will take additional planning, time, and money on your end.

Yearlong students will need to provide additional documents, which can take additional time to process. We recommend starting as soon as you are notified to begin the process by your USAC Program Advisor to allow yourself plenty of time.

Once you submit your application, the consulate will have your physical passport booklet while your visa is processed. Traveling internationally prior to the start of your study abroad program will interfere with your visa application process.

Group Visa Submission

A group submission allows USAC to submit your visa application on your behalf. A group visa submission prevents students from having to make an individual appointment with the Consulate. It also saves you the cost to traveling to the consulate if you are not located in the area. USAC does not charge any additional fees for participation in a group submission. However, the student is responsible for cover any fees associated with submitting their application for a group submission such as shipping fees, notarization of documents, etc.

Group visa submissions are offered based on number of applications and consulate requirements; thus, group visa submissions are not offered for every consulate. For consulates that a group visa submission is not offered, you will need to submit individual visa applications.

USAC offers group visa submissions for students who's permanent or college/university address is in the jurisdictions of the Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York (required for this jurisdiction) Spanish consulates.

Additional group submissions will be decided on an as needed basis. Coordinating group submissions with these consulates is a complex process; our ability to submit group submissions of visa applications in a given jurisdiction may change with little notice and is outside of USAC’s control. If the status of a group submission changes, you will be notified as soon as possible via your USAC Student Gateway and/or by your Program Advisor.

Individual Visa Submission

Students outside these jurisdictions are responsible for submitting their own applications to their respective consulate. Information and guidance are provided by your Program Advisor through your Gateway account.

Further information and resources will be posted to your Gateway account in the Visa Guide, which you will receive about 4 months prior to the program start. Your USAC Program Advisor will also be available to provide guidance if anything is unclear.

You may be required to make an appointment and appear in-person at the consulate to apply for your visa. All costs related to obtaining a visa, including travel, are your responsibility.

Visa Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens

Check with your home country consulate and the embassy of the country in which you plan to study regarding visa requirements. Permanent Residents of the U.S. should check with U.S. Immigration as leaving the country for more than one year may jeopardize permanent resident status. Tax clearance and re-entry forms may also be necessary in these cases.