Program Highlights for Alicante, Spain
- Study at one of the most beautiful campuses in Spain with gorgeous landscaping, modern architecture, and a modern sports center, indoor swimming pool, and other facilities.
- Immerse yourself in Spanish culture with volunteering opportunities, internships, direct enrollment at the university, workshops, conversation partner program, and excursions.
- Enjoy sunny weather and lovely beaches by the Mediterranean Sea with many opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, rowing, sailing, and windsurfing.
- Join in local celebrations, open air markets, and the lively atmosphere of the Mediterranean lifestyle.
- Complete up to two years of university Spanish language coursework in only one semester.
- Enroll in courses with other Spanish students at the University of Alicante, with advanced language proficiency, or in a filmmaking course at Europe’s largest cinema complex.
- The USAC Resident Director and staff are present on-site full-time to welcome and support you during your term abroad.
Why Study In Alicante?
Come to Alicante to study Spanish and European/Mediterranean studies and live in a beautiful city on the southeast coast of Spain. Alicante is a modern, welcoming city bathed by the Mediterranean Sea, which offers all the advantages of being located in such a setting. The magnificent sandy beaches and blue waters of the coast, sunny weather, rich history, and lovely monuments make Alicante a top destination in Spain.
You will have the opportunity to study the Spanish language and the complexities of Spanish and contemporary European societies through a wide selection of academic courses, as well as through personal interaction with the host culture. Alicante is home to the “Casa del Mediterráneo” which is a Government Institution to promote the mutual knowledge, interaction and understanding among the Mediterranean countries. It is also home to the OAMI, the European Union Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market for Trade Marks and Designs. An intensive language approach allows you to complete up to two years of university foreign language study in one semester. In addition to the USAC courses, advanced language students can take academic courses, workshops, and internships at the University of Alicante, providing an unparalleled opportunity for integration. You may even have local students in your USAC courses. Combine your work in the classroom with field trips, field studies to Madrid and Morocco, cultural events, and village festivals outside the classroom. You may stay for one semester or a full year.
People in Alicante live most of their life outdoors as part of the Mediterranean lifestyle; busy cafes, vibrant nightlife, street markets and local festivals are abundant. The campus is also one of the most beautiful in Spain, with lovely gardens, fountains, palm trees, and modern architecture. All of these factors create a great learning and social atmosphere for you in Alicante.
Overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, Alicante’s sunny climate, beautiful beaches, tall mountains, monthly festivals, and rich culture and nightlife beckon to you. Alicante’s broad, four-mile-long beach of San Juan is considered one of the finest in all of Spain due to its size, services, and upkeep. Sunbathing, swimming, windsurfing, sailing, snorkeling, scuba diving, and more are available. Students are sure to find many cozy cafes and entertaining night spots throughout the city, and the Old Quarter of town, El Barrio, is overflowing with popular cafes set amongst traditional architecture. Alicante’s port, El Puerto, is the most modern area of leisure and entertainment.