Program Highlights for Alicante, Spain
- Study at one of the most beautiful campuses in Spain with gorgeous landscaping, modern architecture, and an extensive sports center.
- Immerse yourself in Spanish culture with volunteering opportunities, internships, direct enrollment at the university, workshops, conversation partner program, and excursions.
- Enjoy sunny weather and lovely beaches by the Mediterranean Sea with many opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, sailing, and windsurfing.
- Join in local celebrations, open-air marketplaces, and the lively atmosphere of the Mediterranean lifestyle.
- Climb to the medieval Castle of Santa Bárbara overlooking the city, walk the artistic Explanada de España, and visit the historic neighborhood of Casco Antiguo.
- Enjoy tasty local dishes like arroz a banda or tapas.
- Complete up to two years of university Spanish language coursework in only one semester.
- Enroll in a course with local students at the University of Alicante, with advanced language proficiency, or in a filmmaking course at Europe’s largest cinema complex.
- The USAC Resident Director and staff are present on-site full-time to welcome and support you during your term abroad.
Why Study In Alicante?
Come to Alicante to study Spanish and European/Mediterranean studies and live in a beautiful city on the southeast coast of Spain. Alicante is a modern, welcoming city surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea. The magnificent sandy beaches and blue waters of the coast, sunny weather, rich history, and lovely monuments make Alicante a top destination in Spain.
You will have the opportunity to study the Spanish language and the complexities of Spanish and contemporary European societies through a wide selection of academic courses, as well as through personal interaction with the host culture. Alicante is home to the “Casa Mediterráneo” which is a government institution to promote the mutual knowledge, interaction, and understanding among the Mediterranean countries. It is also home an agency responsible for the registration of the EU trade mark and the registered community design, the EUIPO, the European Union Intellectual Property Office. An intensive language approach allows you to complete up to two years of university foreign language study in one semester. In addition to the USAC courses, advanced language students can take academic courses, workshops, and internships at the University of Alicante, providing an unparalleled opportunity for integration. You may even have local students in your USAC courses. Combine your work in the classroom with field trips, field studies to Madrid, cultural events, and village festivals outside the classroom. You may stay for one semester or a full year.
People in Alicante live most of their life outdoors as part of the Mediterranean lifestyle; busy cafés, vibrant nightlife, street markets and local festivals are abundant. The campus is also one of the most beautiful in Spain, with lovely gardens, fountains, palm trees, and modern architecture. All of these factors create a great learning and social atmosphere for you in Alicante.
2023-24 Application Cycle
- Summer: Open
- Summer Hospitality Internship: March 15
- Session I or I&II deadline: April 1
- Session II deadline: May 1
- Fall: Open
- Deadline: May 1
- Spring: Open
- Deadline: Oct 1
- January 2024: Open
- Deadline: Oct 15
Summer, Semester & January Programs:
Preferred Minimum GPA: 2.5
Summer Hospitality Internship Program:
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing at time of internship
- Four semesters of college-level Spanish
- No COVID-19 vaccine exemptions
English | Spanish
APUNE – Asociación de Programas Universitarios Norteamericanos en España