Program Highlights for Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Live in the mountains of South Africa's beautiful Western Cape Province, in a small, historic town only 45 minutes from Cape Town, the country's most cosmopolitan city
- Study at the second-highest ranked university in all of Africa (Times Higher Education World University Rankings), an institution focused on student, faculty, and staff diversity and inclusivity, and on developing a multicultural campus culture
- Enroll in courses in a variety of disciplines taught in English, from the required South Africa history and culture course, to local and indigenous languages, sciences, liberal arts, mathematics, social sciences, and more
- During the semester meet locals by participating in the Voluntarism and Community Engagement program or by signing up for a Matie Buddy, and during the summer connect with international students during evening social events and field trips
- Enjoy local outdoor sports and activities including road biking, hiking, and canoeing, as well as one of National Geographic's World's 20 Best Surf Towns less than an hour away
Why Study in Stellenbosch?
Live and study in one of the most beautiful parts of South Africa, featuring historic architecture, rich cultural heritage, and easy access to outdoor and sporting activities. Stellenbosch is in the heart of South Africa's wine country, providing the cuisine, culture, and stunning scenery that entails. Surrounded by mountains in the Jonkershoek Valley, it offers the best of both worlds: a small, historic, university town with convenient access to the amenities of the bigger metropolitan area of Cape Town.
Stellenbosch University focuses on inclusivity, diversity, and using its academic excellence and research activities to find sustainable solutions to some of South Africa and Africa's greatest challenges. Specifically, the university promotes a science-for-society approach, aimed at improving people's lives by eradicating poverty, and promoting human dignity and health, democracy and human rights, safety and security, and a sustainable environment and competitive industry.
This program offers you the opportunity to create an educational program that meets your personal and academic goals—choose from courses in a variety of topics, many with a South African or African theme, while living in one of the most beautiful and diverse regions in the world.
2022-23 App. Cycle
- Spring/Semester 1 (Jan-Jun): Open
- Deadline: Sep 1
2023-24 App. Cycle
Summer and Semester Programs:
Minimum GPA: 2.8
Minimum class standing: Sophomore
Summer: 20 students
Semester: 15 students