Skip to Content

Netherlands Passport and Visa Information


To study abroad, you must have a signed, valid passport from your country of citizenship that will not expire for a minimum of six months after your planned return date. If you do not have a passport, or it's about to expire, make sure you apply or renew as soon as possible! U.S. Citizens can refer to the U.S. Department of State’s website for more information about passports and processing time.


A visa is official permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. In the case of the Netherlands, all semester and yearlong students must apply for a residence permit prior to departure.

Summer Programs

Passport holders from certain countries, including the United States, studying in the Netherlands for less than 90 days are not required to obtain a residence permit. Instead, you will receive a stamp in your passport upon arrival to cover the program dates.

Semester/Yearlong Programs

All U.S. passport holders planning to be in the Netherlands for more than 90 days will be required to obtain a residence permit instead of a visa. Prior to departure, students will prepare and submit the required immigration documents to the host university. The host university will submit the residence permit application on behalf of the student, and students will receive a decision on their application prior to departure. After arrival, students will need to take additional steps to obtain their residence permit, as instructed by their host university.

Further information will be posted to your USAC Student Gateway account in the Immigration/Residence Permit Guide, which you will receive after you have been accepted into your USAC program (typically four months prior to the program start). USAC Program Advisors in the Central Office are also available to answer any visa questions you may have.

All costs related to obtaining a residence permit, including travel, are your responsibility.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Check with your home country consulate, as well as the embassy of the country in which you plan to study, regarding visa requirements. Permanent Residents of the U.S. should check with U.S. Immigration as leaving the country for more than one year may jeopardize permanent resident status. Tax clearance and re-entry forms may also be necessary in these cases.