Coronavirus Updates & Student Resources
USAC is running spring 2021 programs in England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Uruguay, Thailand, South Korea, and Japan. We also plan to offer in-person programs during our summer and fall terms. Learn more about how we are preparing for our students to enjoy a safe and meaningful experience overseas.
Preparing to Study Abroad in 2021
USAC has made enhancements to our study abroad programs to accommodate studying abroad in a COVID-19 world. Plans for all programs are proceeding and efforts are being made to ensure that students will be able to enjoy safe and meaningful experiences while abroad. While safety and health have always been a top priority for USAC, we are increasing our efforts and measures due to the current global situation.
Some specific, new measures include:
- A new pre-departure health and safety webinar that will focus on COVID-19 prevention measures.
- Training for program site staff to ensure that the latest CDC, WHO, and local guidelines are followed.
- Efforts to place students in single rooms where possible. We will also minimize homestays for our upcoming sessions and semesters, where possible.
- Comprehensive on-site orientation that focuses on USAC and host country guidelines and restrictions for each program site, program activities, type of housing, and host university.
- Encouraging students to limit independent travel and focus on exploring areas in and around program locations.
- Strict adherence to disinfection and cleaning recommendations in USAC common areas and program housing.
- Strict adherence to social distancing guidelines in classrooms and during all USAC activities.
- Identification of locations for students to self-isolate in case of COVID-19 infection.
- Revised contingency plans in case of a resurgence of COVID-19 at any program location.
- Ability to seamlessly move to online courses for all or part of the semester.
- Site-specific COVID-19 guidelines that provide details regarding housing, academics, travel, and managing COVID-19 symptoms and illness.
- All students sign a COVID-19 pledge to act responsibly while abroad.
To ensure academic continuity in case of an unexpected change of plans at program sites, the following options are being developed:
- Plan A – Semester conducted entirely on-site with shortened calendar, if necessary.
- Plan B – Hybrid: Semester starts as planned, and later moves online, if need arises.
Coronavirus Resources for Students and Parents
You can find the most current U.S. and global coronavirus updates and travel advisories here:
If you need to contact the Health and Safety team for any reason, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.