USAC is guided by the fundamental principle that the safety and well-being of USAC students is of the highest importance. We adhere to the highest standards in safety and security at all our program locations.
We continuously monitor our program sites and proactively seek out international safety and security information. We obtain safety, security, and health information from a range of sources including these standard publicly available resources that we encourage students to read:
- U.S. State Department: Travel.State.Gov and Studentsabroad.State.Gov.
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control
We obtain additional expert information through the following, among other resources:
- Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI): USAC’s insurance and assistance company, is a provider of expert safety and security information and analysis via their contractual relationships with some of the top international safety and security companies in the world.
- U.S. State Department’s Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC): USAC’s Health and Safety staff are members of the OSAC Regional Councils, Country Councils, and the Academic Working Group. Through OSAC, we are connected to academic institutions, private companies and agencies operating around the world, and thus, we are able to obtain current on-the-ground safety and security information.
- USAC works with leading study abroad professional organizations such as the Forum on Education Abroad, NAFSA: Association of International Educators, and PULSE, a working group of safety and security professionals serving in academia.
We strive to educate students about safety strategies and empower them to become safe, smart and savvy travelers for life.
We encourage all students to be familiar with the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories for their host country and all countries they plan travel within. Please focus on the Safety and Security section, noting common scams in that location and areas to avoid.
We strongly recommend that all students enroll in the U.S. Department of State travel registry to receive alerts directly from the local Embassy.
- Enroll in STEP