Internships for Chiang Mai, Thailand
Due to heightened concerns about student health and safety we are immediately suspending internship placements, volunteer work, and service-learning projects in health care facilities at all USAC program sites for the remainder of the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 academic terms. We will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision regarding the availability of these placements during the Fall 2020 semester in the coming weeks. If you have any questions, please contact the USAC internship team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships in Chiang Mai are offered during the summer, semester and yearlong terms. Those interested in doing a summer internship must attend both summer sessions. Summer internships are limited and only one-credit.
Internships are optional and included in your program fees. They range from 1-3 credits and are counted as part of your academic credit load, in addition to the minimum credit requirement. Interns earn credit, but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills.
Internship placements in Chiang Mai include:
- Metta Herbs - An herbal products business.
- Mu-See Shop - A local crafts business.
- National Park Office - Nature conservation.
- Chiang Mai University Faculty of Science - Forest Restoration Research Unit (FORRU) - A Chiang Mai University team who develop methods to restore tropical forest ecosystems for biodiversity conservation, environmental protection and carbon storage.
- CityLife Magazine - An English language publication for Northern Thailand.
- Provincial Government Foreign Affairs Section
- Chiang Mai University Faculty of Engineering - Engineering research and learning innovation.
Education/English Language Instruction
- Satoi Municipality Elementary and Secondary Schools - English language teaching.
- Chiang Mai Buddhist University - English language teaching.
- The Northern School for the Blind - English language teaching.
- American University Alumni Association Language Center - English language teaching.
*Placement with a particular internship provider is not guaranteed.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency (some placements)
A $200 refundable fee is charged and returned upon successful completion of the internship. Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site.