Activities for Prague, Czech Republic
Extracurricular activities include sports with Prague students— mainly soccer and playing in the world´s most unique city league “Hanspaulka,” jogging and running, “uphill running” to the tops of Prague towers, volleyball, cycling, and swimming. If the winter weather gets really cold, there is even skating on rivers and pond hockey. Singing in the student choirs will enrich the language skills: in Prague choirs perform in Czech as well as Latin, German, Italian, English, and French pieces. Hiking and walking are also popular activities; every fall semester students may join the 35-mile night hike out of Prague. Besides the program field trips, each term offers plenty of smaller trips to the most interesting places in the Czech Republic as well as in the neighboring countries – the schedule is announced during the onsite orientation.
Students may volunteer and join groups working on immigrant integration and cultural heritage protection. Czech language does not belong among the world’s most widespread languages; the citizens of Prague therefore like learning and practicing major languages. Many students find life-long friends through the conversation exchange program.
You are also encouraged to participate in the included program field trips. In addition to the program trips, each term offers plenty of smaller trips to the most interesting places in the Czech Republic as well as in the neighboring countries—you'll receive the trip plan during the orientation.
Cultural Immersion Opportunities
- Intern with the Fulbright Commission in Prague, the National Library archives, or Erste Bank
- Volunteer with the National Center for Volunteers or the Prague Jewish Community
- Tutor English language at a local high school
- Play basketball and other sports with Charles University intramural teams
- Perform research with the Institute of International Relations
- Play soccer or ice hockey with amateur or semi-pro teams
- Many running, jogging, and hiking events take place every day in Prague; these popular events are open for anyone to meet others