Comparative Studies: Uruguay and Cuba Summer Session
Study abroad for eight weeks , beginning in Montevideo, Uruguay and continuing to La Habana, Cuba, for a comparative Latin American studies program ideal for any student and of particular interest to health, gender and Spanish language students.
Experience Uruguay's vibrant, progressive and thriving culture and contrast it with Cuba's political and historical complexities, evolution and stunning natural beauty.
- Take immersive studies focused on business, language, or health during the five-week Montevideo program.
- Participate in intriguing courses on gender and culture, healthcare, or government during the three-week La Habana program.
- Learn the dances of both cultures, savor the flavors of the different regions and enhance your Spanish language skills through various course offerings.
- Rely on our seasoned Uruguay and Cuba Resident Director, Sebastian Bombi, who will be your daily guide and local resource in both Montevideo and La Habana. Sebastian will also accompany students on the group flight between locations.
Some additional key features the programs offer include:
- Explore the Spanish, Italian, and African influences of the Rio de la Plata region of Uruguay, visit Buenos Aires and Palacio Legislativo, and travel to Iguazu Falls on the Optional Tour.
- Surround yourself with stunning natural beauty, Caribbean flair and old-world Cuban architecture.
$8,410* includes homestays in both locations and a $300 combination program discount.
*Program fees, prior to the applied discount, are $3,980 for the Montevideo session and $3,980 (plus $750 for housing) for the La Habana session, and are paid separately.
Summer Session I - Montevideo (5 weeks)
|May 20, 2023||
Departure from the U.S. (students on optional tour)
Arrival in Montevideo & move into program housing
|May 22-27||Optional Tour - Buenos Aires & Colonia del Sacramento|
|May 27||Departure from the U.S. (if not on optional tour)|
|May 28||Arrival in Montevideo & move into program housing (if not on optional tour)|
|May 29||Mandatory orientation | First day of instruction|
|June 29||Last day of instruction|
|June 30||Final examinations|
|July 1 2022||Move out of program housing | Montevideo segment ends|
|Return flight to the U.S. or Depart for Havana if continuing on to USAC’s la Habana SSII|
Summer Session II - La Habana (3 weeks)
|July 2, 2023||Arrive in La Habana & move into housing|
|July 3||Mandatory orientation | First day of instruction|
|July 20||Courses end|
|July 21||Final examinations|
|July 22||Move out of housing | Program Ends|
|Students depart Cuba (if not on optional tour)|
|July 23-28||Optional tour - Southern Cuba|
|July 29||Optional tour students move out of housing & depart Cuba|
Montevideo Summer Session Overview
Students will have the option of taking one or two courses (3-7 credits) in areas of studies such as entrepreneurship, health, Latin American studies, and Spanish language. Students have the option to live in apartments or to practice their Spanish and get fully immersed in the culture by living in a homestay. With Sebastian, you can go on the overnight tour to Buenos Aires or attend the field trip to Palacio Legislativo the site where the Uruguayan parliament meets.
Course Details for Montevideo
- Spanish for Health Professions; Social Dimensions of Health and Environment
- Government and Politics in Latin America
- Latin American Women's Voices and LGBTQ+ in Latin America
- Start Ups and Entrepreneurship
- Intermediate Spanish, Spanish Composition, and Spanish Conversation
- 1-credit cultural enrichment courses in Dances of Latin America and Latin American Cuisine
La Habana Summer Session Overview
Students will take 3-4 credits in Latin American politics, gender studies, Cuban culture, health, or Spanish and will live in apartments during their stay. Field trips to Terrazas Eco Community, Santa Maria del Mar Beach, and Revolution Square are also planned with Sebastian.
Course Details for La Habana
- People and Cultures of Cuba, and Dances of Havana and the Caribbean
- The Cuban Health Care System,
- Latin American Social Revolutions, and Contemporary Women's Activism
- Spanish Conversation
On-Site Staff Resident Director for Uruguay and La Habana Programs
Sebastian Bombi, a native of Uruguay, is the Resident Director for the Montevideo and La Habana programs. He has worked for USAC since 2003, first as program staff in Costa Rica and now as the RD of the Cuba summer program and Uruguay semester program. The RD, with program assistant Orlando Santana, meets the group flight at the airport, provides an on-site orientation, arranges your program housing, and organizes interesting field studies and optional tours.
2023-24 Application Cycle
- January 2024: Open
- Deadline: Oct 15
2024-25 Application Cycle
- Summer 2024: Open
- Deadline: April 15
- Summer Comparative Studies (Uruguay & Cuba): Open
- Deadline: March 15
- January 2025: Opens Dec 1
- Deadline: Oct 15
- Preferred Minimum GPA: 2.5
- Enrolled in a degree seeking program
- Approval from home university