Program Highlights for Växjö / Kalmar, Sweden
- Live in a friendly area known for its bicycle paths, castle ruins, and 200 lakes
- Enjoy the vibrant cultural life of the surrounding areas, including the famous glassworks of Kosta Boda and Orrefors
- Join student-run organizations that plan events, trips, and cultural immersion activities for visiting and local students
- Take a beginner or intermediate Swedish language course along with a wide variety of courses in English
- Visit close to campus the Teleborg water tower, with its lyrical echo, the nineteenth-century Teleborg castle, or medieval Kalmar Castle
Why Study In Växjö / Kalmar?
The Växjö (pronounced Vĕck-qŭh) / Kalmar program offers the opportunity to enroll at Linnaeus University’s Växjö campus or 75 miles away at the Kalmar campus in a wide range of courses taught in English; both cities provide easy access to enjoy the lakes, forests, trails, and countryside of southeast Sweden. Students can stay for one semester or a full year and take courses in areas such as Computer Science, Design, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences and Social Work, Humanities, Business Administration, Management and Economics, Mathematics and Systems Engineering, Science, Social Science, Sport/Coaching Management, and Teacher Education.
Students have the option of taking Introductory, Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced Swedish for Exchange Students in addition to their normal study program (included in program fees). The Introductory course is a non-credit course, while the Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced course is taken for credit. Although most people in Sweden speak at least some English, we strongly recommend you take one of these optional courses, as they help you to assimilate better into Swedish life, and you will find the Swedes appreciate your effort to speak their language.
You will begin your stay in Växjö/Kalmar with an orientation to the university, region and country as well as field trip and social activity opportunities. At the conclusion of this orientation, you will begin your regular coursework.