Skip to Content

Sweden Passport and Visa Information


To study abroad, you must have a signed, valid passport from your country of citizenship that will not expire for a minimum of six months after your planned return date. If you do not have a passport, or it's about to expire, make sure you apply or renew as soon as possible! U.S. Citizens can refer to the U.S. Department of State’s website for more information about passports and processing time.

Visa/Residence Permit

A visa is official permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. In the case of Sweden, all semester and yearlong students must apply for a Residence Permit prior to departure. This application is completed online. U.S. students applying for a Swedish residence permit will be required to attend an in-person appointment at the Swedish Embassy in Washington, D.C., prior to their departure for Sweden. All applicants should consider the additional costs of traveling to Washington, D.C. from their respective locations, as well as potential lodging and other related expenses.

Further information will be posted to your USAC Student Gateway account in the Residence Permit Guide, which you will receive after you have been accepted into your USAC program (typically four months prior to the program start). USAC Program Advisors are also available to answer any residence permit questions you may have.

All costs related to obtaining a residence permit, including travel, are your responsibility.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Check with your home country consulate, as well as the embassy of the country in which you plan to study, regarding visa requirements. Permanent Residents of the U.S. should check with U.S. Immigration as leaving the country for more than one year may jeopardize permanent resident status. Tax clearance and re-entry forms may also be necessary in these cases.