Skip to Content

Ireland Passport and Visa Information


To study abroad, you must have a signed, valid passport from your country of citizenship that will not expire for a minimum of six months after your planned return date. If you do not have a passport, or it's about to expire, make sure you apply or renew as soon as possible! U.S. Citizens can refer to the U.S. Department of State’s website for more information about passports and processing time.


A student visa is official permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. In the case of Ireland, U.S. passport holders do not apply for a student visa prior to departure.

Summer Programs

All U.S. citizens studying in Ireland for less than 90 days will receive a stamp in their passport upon arrival to cover the program dates.

Semester/Yearlong Programs

U.S. passport holders studying in Ireland for more than 90 days do not apply for a student visa prior to departure, but you will have to prepare documents to present to Irish Immigration when entering the country. Once on-site you are required to apply for an immigration card (generally you will have 60 days to register but it can be less depending on the date stamped upon entry). This process includes providing proof of medical insurance, a letter from USAC, UCC acceptance letter, and your UCC ID Card. The International Office and USAC Resident Director in Cork will assist you with the necessary steps during your on-site orientation.

Further information will be posted to your USAC Student Gateway account in the Immigration Guide, which you will receive after you have been accepted into your USAC program (typically four months prior to the program start). USAC Program Advisors in the Central Office are also available to answer any visa questions you may have.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Check with your home country consulate, as well as the embassy of the country in which you plan to study, regarding visa requirements. Permanent Residents of the U.S. should check with U.S. Immigration as leaving the country for more than one year may jeopardize permanent resident status. Tax clearance and re-entry forms may also be necessary in these cases.