Program Highlights for Bristol, England
- Enjoy a vibrant city, famous in the U.K. for its music scene and street art; voted the coolest city in the U.K., the 3rd most cultural and creative city in the U.K., and the most eco-friendly city in the U.K.
- Committed to environmental sustainability efforts, including carbon neutrality by 2030, Bristol was the first U.K. city to be awarded European Green Capital status
- Live in the cultural center of southwest England near Bath, Stonehenge, and only 90 minutes from London
- Study the University of Bristol, home to world-leading research facilities, rated one of the Top 10 U.K. universities according to QS World Rankings 2023, and ranked 5th in the U.K. for research
- Integrate with British students in housing, courses, and university activities
- Utilize excellent sports facilities and choose from over 400 societies and 70 sporting clubs through one of the largest and most active student unions in the U.K.
Why Study In Bristol?
The Bristol program allows you to study and live in a thriving modern city, only 90 minutes from London by train, and study at one of the top-rated universities in Britain. You can enroll for one semester or a full year of courses in a variety of disciplines at the University of Bristol; just a few of the choices include:
- Computer Science
- Earth Sciences
- English Literature
- Film and Television
- Geographical Sciences
- Politics and International Studies
You can take a combination of courses from the six faculties (departments) in the University to fulfill major, minor, or general graduation requirements while studying in Bristol. To make your stay in the United Kingdom more meaningful, consider taking at least one course in British Studies, such as An Unruly History of England; Race, Migration and Diaspora in 19th and 20th Century Britain; Teenage Kicks: Youth and Subcultures in Britain since 1918; Mass Media in Modern Britain; or The Nature of Britain: Environmental Histories of an Atlantic Island.
There are several excellent reasons for deciding to study in the UK. Courses at British universities are taught by professors who do almost all the teaching and tutorial work with undergraduates while maintaining a high level of research activity. Although the UK shares a common language with the US, it remains a foreign country, with diverse traditions, values, and views of the world. Time in the United Kingdom will challenge you personally, open your eyes to different ways of looking at the current problems of the world and enable you to directly experience the wonderful culture and history of the European continent.
2023-24 Application Cycle
- Spring 2024: Open
- Deadline: Oct 1
- Deadline: Oct 1
- Fall/Yearlong 2023-24: Deadline has passed
Minimum GPA: 3.0
Minimum class standing:
Junior (strong Sophomore applications will be considered)
Open to degree-seeking students attending a 4-year institution at the time of application.
AASAP/UK -- Association of American Study Abroad Programmes United Kingdom