Activities for Santiago, Chile
Extracurricular activities include intramural sports, intercambios (Spanish conversation partners), art workshops, reflection groups, and organized social projects in the community. In addition to USAC-planned events, Santiago is host to an annual calendar of seminars and conferences in the fields of arts, sciences, and politics; public competitions like marathons and “cicletadas” (open bike races); and popular events like cultural and holiday celebrations and parades.
Specific course field trips are also organized to the National Museum of History, the National Museum of Fine Arts, the Pre-Columbian Museum of Art, the Salvador Allende Museum, the Museum of Memory and Human Rights, the National Library, and the recently opened Gabriela Mistral Cultural Center and Andean Museum.
Cultural Immersion Opportunities
- Volunteer at a local foundation or non-profit organization (USAC group volunteer projects are also organized)
- Intern at a museum or in the field of communications
- Attend seminars in politics, economics, and science
- Attend local theatre, musical performances, film exhibitions, fairs, and festivals
- Play soccer, tennis, and basketball with local students
- Participate in runs, marathons, and bicycle races in and around the city
- Visit local historic sites in and around Santiago
- Go on hiking trips with local students
- Sign up for the conversation partner exchange