Money Matters
1-866-404-USAC 1-775-784-6569 1-775-784-6010


The following policies address changing a program, cancelling a program, withdrawing from a program, refunds, and educational deductions for tax purposes.

Changes, Cancellations, and Withdrawals

Program Changes

You must notify USAC in writing of any change in program. If you change to a later term, you will still be held to the cancellation and refund deadlines of your original program. If you change to an earlier term, the new program's cancellation and refund deadlines will apply.

Program Extension

Students who wish to extend their study abroad program must contact their USAC Admissions Specialist to request a program extension. To be considered for an extension, students must continue to meet eligibility requirements; home university approval may be required. If an extension is granted, students complete a new program agreement and submit the $500 confirmation deposit for the second term.

Cancellations and Withdrawals

USAC must be notified in writing of any cancellation or withdrawal. The date of your email or postmark will serve as the official cancellation date. The $500 confirmation deposit is refundable only until the end of the Early Admission Period for the program to which you applied. After this date, the $500 is nonrefundable.

Depending on the date of cancellation, you may also be billed for unrecoverable costs paid on your behalf for housing and other optional courses/activities for which payment has been made. If you withdraw after the cancellation deadline, full fees will be charged; no refunds will be given and any outstanding balance must be paid.

The Program Fees and Options/Financial Agreement form that you sign as part of your application includes a detailed cancellation/refund schedule with dates specific to your program. Review this carefully.

If you cancel or withdraw from your USAC program and are receiving financial aid/scholarships, you may be required to repay any funds awarded/disbursed. You are also still responsible for paying any outstanding balance you may have.


Educational Deductions and the IRS

Under current regulations, you may deduct some educational expenses from your tax return under certain conditions. Contact the appropriate tax agency (state or federal) or a tax professional for details.