Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

We know you probably have many questions as you research and prepare to go abroad. We hope our website answers many of those for you. See below for common questions relating to applying, preparing to go abroad, finances, financial aid, and billing. If you have further questions not answered here, please contact us.

General Questions

When should I apply?

Most programs have rolling admissions so it is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. If the deadline has passed, contact the USAC Central office to see if you are still able to submit a late application.

Is it possible to apply for two different programs in the same year?

Yes, you can enroll and participate in consecutive USAC Programs at the same or different program sites; however, you can only apply to one program per term (i.e. one fall program, one spring program). Be sure to notify USAC of any plans for multiple programs so we can advise you regarding travel and visa requirements.

Group Flights

What is a group flight?

A group flight is a hassle-reduced air travel option that helps you make the last leg of your journey more efficient. It is an optional service that arranges flights to most USAC programs through a partnership with Frosch Student Travel. Other students from the same country program will be on the group flight so everyone arrives together. All students will start their travel journey from whichever airport is closest to them and join the group flight for the last connecting flight.

What is Frosch?

With nearly 40 offices worldwide, Frosch is a leading global travel agency with 60 years of experience specializing in student and group travel. USAC and Frosch have partnered to send students overseas for more than 20 years.

Who is the group flight for?

Anyone! This is an ideal option for anyone who feels anxious about the flight or wants direct assistance from a reliable source. If there are any changes to your flights or itinerary on the day of the flight, you can be contacted by Frosch agents.

What are the benefits of the group flight?

  • Flexible tickets: All tickets are changeable or cancelable with minimum fees or for travel credit with no cancellation fees. In general, Frosch’s change and cancellation policies are more generous than what airlines typically offer.
  • Payment plans: Frosch can work with students to set up a payment plan so that students do not have to pay the entire flight cost at once.
  • Customer service: Instead of relying on airport or airline customer service in the event of delays or cancellations, students can work directly with Frosch agents. In the past, this benefit has proven to be much less stressful for students, especially during the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Travel with peers: Booking with Frosch for the group flight ensures that students can travel with other USAC participants, if applicable.
  • Airport pickup: USAC on-staff will pick you up at the airport and escort you to your housing or orientation hotel (Specialty programs only).

What if I don’t book the group flight?

The group flight is not required, but it is highly recommended. If you do not book with the group flight, you will be responsible for booking your own flights. This means that it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that their travel dates align with their program dates and what is allowed based on their visa (if applicable). Students traveling independently will have to adjust their flight itinerary should delays or cancellations occur, which means that they will be responsible for contacting the airline or airport staff themselves.
Lastly, airlines do not offer payment plans, meaning students will have to fund their entire ticket at one time.

How do I learn more about group flights?

Still not sure about the group flight? Contact to learn more!

Preparing to Go

Can I get a list of students who are going on the same program?

Yes, the USAC Central Office posts a list of students participating in your program who have agreed to disclose their information on your USAC Student Gateway account.

Can I get a list of students who have participated in previous programs?

Yes. The USAC Central Office also provides lists of students who have agreed to disclose their information and who have participated in your program in past semesters. If you would like a copy of this list, please email the USAC Central Office.

Is the USAC Central Office open during the summer and winter break?

Yes, the USAC Central Office will be open during both the summer and winter breaks (with the exception of Christmas Day and New Year's Day).

Can I bring pets?

Pets are not allowed in any of the USAC arranged housing. Students who bring pets are responsible for their own housing.

When will I find out about where I will be living?

Students and their families are asked to be patient because housing arrangements must often be finalized at the last minute in order to prevent you from paying extra costs. Information about housing assignments is not typically given out until you arrive or just shortly beforehand.

Should LGBTQIA+ individuals be concerned about traveling abroad?

Laws, social norms, attitudes and tolerance toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and other LGBTQIA+ persons will vary in countries abroad, just as they may vary between places and communities in your home country. Most LGBTQIA+ travelers will not encounter problems while overseas. However, foreign governments may or may not provide the same protection of civil liberties that you are used to in your home country. Careful research on your host country should be completed before departing so that you can decide for yourself how open you can be regarding your sexuality and gender identify at your program site or while traveling. You may also want to research the types of support organizations, student groups, or LGBTQIA+ resources that exist at your host university. This can be done by visiting the website for your host university, or by talking to your Program Advisor. The following websites are helpful resources for LGBTQIA+ travelers:

Fees and Payments

How do I pay my fees?

Fees can be paid by check, money order, credit card, and (in person only) in cash. It is easiest to make payments online, where, with the exception of American Express, we accept all major credit cards. To pay with an American Express card, contact USAC Accounting for payment processing.

Unless otherwise noted in the Program Fees and Options/Financial Agreement form, you will pay your program fees directly to the USAC Central Office. If your home university requires you to pay them directly, consult your home university for billing and payment details. If you receive financial aid/scholarships and submit a copy of your accepted award letter (prior to the balance due deadline), along with approximate dates of disbursement, the balance due may be deferred up to the financial aid/scholarship amount until the funds are disbursed.

What does the program fee include?

This varies for each program, and USAC provides detailed information in each program section.

Does the program fee include airfare?

Airfare fluctuates daily and is not included in your program fees to give you maximum flexibility and control. However, USAC works with discount travel service providers and offers group flights with reasonable rates for most programs.

Financial Aid/Scholarships

Can I use financial aid to help fund my studies abroad?

USAC will accept financial aid, but you should check with the Financial Aid office at your home university for a financial aid application and more specific details.

How do I apply for financial aid?

You can apply for financial aid at the Financial Aid office of your home university or a USAC Affiliate University. It is important that you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year to determine your financial aid eligibility based on family income and educational cost. Since studying abroad may have a different fee structure, you should print out the USAC budget sheet from your USAC Student Gateway account and give it to your financial aid advisor if you want to pursue a budget increase.

Will the financial aid be paid to USAC directly?

This varies depending on the policies of the funding institution. You should ask this question of your financial aid advisor. If possible, we strongly recommend arranging for financial aid/scholarship funds to be distributed directly to the USAC Central Office to prevent any complications due to late payments.

Will USAC accept all of my financial aid/scholarships?

You are welcome to use your financial aid towards a USAC program. USAC accepts any and all federal financial aid / grants / scholarships. However, in some cases state grants will not apply to USAC programs. It is up to the funding source to decide whether the money is allowed for the use of study abroad with USAC. If the financial aid is disbursed after the balance due deadline, USAC will need a copy of the accepted award letter in order to consider the possibility of deferring payment. However, the position hold payment is not deferrable unless your home university pays USAC directly on your behalf.

My school requires financial aid/consortium agreements, to whom and where should I send these agreements?

Send any financial aid/consortium agreements to the USAC Central Office. The USAC Central Office will then route the form to the proper USAC Affiliate University for processing. If you have any questions, please contact USAC Accounting.

What is a Consortium Agreement?

A USAC Affiliate University typically signs these agreements upon request by your home university. A Consortium Agreement is a contract between two colleges/universities that recognizes the registration of a student at each site for financial aid purposes. It also certifies that only one of the two colleges/universities will administer Title IV financial aid for the student. It refers to the two colleges/universities as the “Home Campus” and the “Host Campus.” The “Home Campus” is the school where the student is fully admitted and from which he/she will get a degree. The “Host Campus” is where the student temporarily takes courses, whose credits will be transferred back to his/her “Home Campus.”

How do I continue my financial aid after my USAC program ends?

Consult your Financial Aid office for specifics. It is important that you are aware of your financial standing as you return to your home university. Financial aid and loans that are time sensitive may need to be reinitiated or activated at the beginning of the semester. Loan organizations may need a statement from your home university affirming your continued enrollment and verifying your registration. If you receive such notification from your loan organization, you should contact the loan association immediately for specific directions. Discuss any concerns related to financial aid with your home university Financial Aid advisor before your study abroad program begins.

What happens to my financial aid/scholarships if I cancel or withdraw from my USAC program?

It is your responsibility to research the deadlines, terms, and conditions regarding your financial aid and scholarships. Accepting those funds if/when they are offered implies that you agree to honor those conditions. Therefore, if you cancel or withdraw from your USAC program, you may be required to immediately repay any funds awarded or dispersed. You are also still responsible for paying any outstanding USAC balance. More information will be available on your USAC Student Gateway account.

Finances Abroad

How will I get money while I am abroad?

Typically the easiest, least expensive, and most convenient way for you to access funds is to use an ATM card that has been approved for international use and has a PIN. In some countries, ATMs will not accept a PIN longer than four digits or that starts with zero. If your PIN is longer than four digits, contact your bank to ask how to use your card abroad. You should consult with your bank about setting up access to your account via the internet to check your balance, etc. Let your bank and credit card companies know when and where you will be traveling.

How do I use my debit card abroad?

ATMs are available for use in most countries worldwide. They often have the best exchange rate, 24-hour accessibility, and money from your home bank account can be withdrawn in the local currency abroad. Check with your bank at home to make sure your card is approved for use abroad and to determine any charges related to using it internationally, as there are usually currency conversion fees for each withdrawal. Be aware of the daily withdrawal limit for your debit card.

Can I use my credit cards?

While credit cards are typically accepted around the world, VISA and MasterCard are the most widely accepted. You should let your card company know when and where you will be traveling and confirm that your credit card can be used abroad. Consider requesting a 4-digit PIN to use (like you would with a debit card), verify your daily limit, and check if there are any service fees/restrictions. You may, for example, be charged a fee or percentage for the currency exchange rate. Just in case, be prepared to have another form of payment with you in the event you cannot use your credit card.

Can I use traveler’s checks?

We strongly discourage using or relying on traveler's checks, as they are not always accepted abroad.

Can I wire funds abroad?

Yes, Western Union (and many banks) can quickly wire money to most countries. To collect wired funds, you will need to show your passport or ID and the transaction record number that the sender was given when transferring the funds. You should expect to pay fees to send and/or receive funds by wire transfer. These fees can range from $50 to $100.

How do I avoid high banking fees?

Your financial institution may charge fees for each foreign transaction. Therefore, you should try to limit the frequency of your ATM withdrawals. Some financial institutions may also have global partnerships or alliances that will allow you to withdraw money from certain ATMs with little to no extra fees. Be sure to take note of all included, because they may have ATMs in multiple countries. Check with your bank, credit union, or financial institution for more information.

How do I file my taxes while abroad?

If you have earnings that require you to file federal and/or state income tax returns and you will be out of the country between January 1 and April 15 when taxes are due, you can file your taxes from abroad. You may need to arrange to have tax forms sent to you or have taxes paid for you while you are out of the country. It is also possible to ask for an extension. Be sure to know what your tax responsibilities are and how to comply while you are away. An official tax guide for US citizens and resident aliens abroad can be found on the IRS website.

What is VAT? How do I claim the VAT on the purchases I make abroad?

VAT stands for Valued Added Tax. Unlike the United States, where tax is added on at the cash register, many countries in the world include sales tax in the price tag. As a foreign national, you are not obligated to pay the VAT. Unfortunately, you cannot claim the VAT unless you spend a certain minimum amount in one location (store). These minimum amounts and the percentage of VAT added on to the price vary from country to country. In order to claim your VAT, you must first ask the shop staff for a Refund Cheque when paying for your purchases. When you are leaving the country be prepared to present your purchases, receipt, and passport to customs. They will stamp your Refund Cheque. Finally, show your stamped Refund Cheque, along with your passport and credit card (if you used it to make the purchases), to the Refund Office. The refund can also be paid in cash. The following countries offer tax free shopping: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Morocco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and United Kingdom.