Internships for Heredia, Costa Rica
Due to heightened concerns about student health and safety we are immediately suspending internship placements, volunteer work, and service-learning projects in health care facilities at all USAC program sites for the remainder of the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 academic terms. We will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision regarding the availability of these placements during the Fall 2020 semester in the coming weeks. If you have any questions, please contact the USAC internship team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships in Heredia are offered during the semester and yearlong terms. Internships are optional and included in your program fees. They range from 1-3 credits and are counted as part of your credit load. Interns earn credit, but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills.
Internship placements in Heredia include:
- Centro de Investigaciones Apícolas Tropicales - (CINAT) - Apicultural studies and research - 2 positions available.
- Instituto de Investigación y Servicios Forestales (INISEFOR) - Forestry and plant research - 2 positions available.
- Herbarium - Leaf species collection and research
- Biology School - Carribean sand research - 3 positions available.
- Chemistry School - Chemistry studies and research - 3 positions available.
- Environmental Sciences School - (Greenhouse Project) - Reforestation.
- Observatorio Vulcanológico y Sismológicao de Costa Rica (OVSICORI) - Vulcanological Research - 2 positions available
- Communication Office - Journalism and radio/TV programming - 1 position available.
- Economy School - Research projects - 2 positions available.
- Centro Internacional de Política Económica para el Desarrollo Sostenible (CINPE) - Research projects - 3 positions available.
- Club Campestre El Castillo Country Club - Hotel management - 2 positions available.
- Proyecto Sistema de Gestión Administrativa (SIGESA) - Administrative management systems - 3 positions available
- Health Department at Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica (UNA) - Nursing - 1 position available.
- Centro de Rehabitilación Cardiaca at Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica - (UNA) - Heart Rehabilitation - 1 position available.
- Corazon de Jesus Casa Hogar - Homeless shelter.
- Centro Diurno Miraflores - Nursing home.
Education/English Language Instruction
- Public Ministry of Education
- Private schools and high schools
- Office Administration School
- English Classes for Campus Administrators - 2 positions available.
- Master in Translation Program - 1 position available.
*Placement with a particular internship provider is not guaranteed.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency (Four semesters of college-level Spanish)
A $200 refundable fee is charged and returned upon successful completion of the internships. Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site.