Travel and Living Abroad
1-866-404-USAC 1-775-784-6569 1-775-784-6010


A passport gives you permission to exit and return to your country of citizenship. You must have a passport in order to travel internationally. Obtaining a passport is one of the first steps you should take once you have decided to study abroad. If you do not have a passport, apply for one immediately. If you already have a passport, make sure it meets the following requirements:

  • It is signed.
  • It is valid for a minimum of 6 months after your planned return date. If your passport expires before then, renew it immediately.
  • It is in good condition and not damaged.

Applying for a Passport

If you do not have a passport or if yours fails to meet the above requirements, visit the US Department of State website for application and renewal instructions. You may be required to apply in person. It can take up to 4-6 weeks for the passport office to process an application. Refer to the US Department of State website for the most current processing times.

If you are not a US citizen, refer to your home country’s embassy website.