Internships for San Sebastián, Spain
The San Sebastián program offers one-credit interships during semester and yearlong terms. The internships are optional. They are included in your program fees and are counted as part of your academic credit load. Interns earn credit, but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills. Working in a non-English speaking environment requires the ability to communicate at an advanced language level.
Internship placements in San Sebastián include:
- Hazi eta Ikasi - An NGO whose volunteers offer educational support services to disadvantaged and vulnerable local children between 7 and 14 years old. Today they help more than 230 children in four different neighborhoods of San Sebastián and have more than 150 volunteers - 1 position available. (Available ONLY to yearlong students)
- El Aula Azul - An English academy where student interns will work with children in a professional environment in which “immersive learning” through cooking, dancing, making crafts, singing, performing, etc. is used as a means of providing a fun way for children to learn English - 2 positions available.
- Mestiza - An innovative non-profit organization committed to strengthening the community through art and education. Established in 2008, they aim to promote and develop artistic, educational and sociocultural projects that reflect the multicultural diversity of our San Sebastian and the Basque Country. One of their main aims is to promote reading and the literature, with a special focus on the early childhood - 2 positions available.
- Caritas - An NGO working with homeless and marginalized populations to protect the rights of the weak and poor as well as giving poor communities the tools they need to build better lives - 1 position available.
- USAC San Sebastián Office - Students will help design and produce a USAC yearbook by attending cultural events in San Sebastián and in other parts of the Basque Country, interviewing locals and other USAC students, writing about such experiences in both Spanish and English, taking pictures and documenting the experiences of USAC students - 4 positions available.
*Placement with a particular internship provider is not guaranteed.
Volunteer Opportunities (Non-Credit)
- Surfrider Foundation - An organization dedicated to the conservation of and education about our oceans and beaches. Volunteers of the Surfrider Foundation Europe in San Sebastián will take part of the Ocean Initiatives program to fight the marine litter issue through education, community science and lobbying. This includes beach, ocean, lake and riverbank clean-ups all over the world. And these litter collections are organized by volunteers with the support of Surfrider Foundation Europe. Surfrider Foundation in San Sebastián is looking for translators who could volunteer throughout the year to help them with translation and proofreading their website, communication materials, and internal documents.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency (some placements)
Beginning in Summer 2021, a non-refundable internship placement fee will be required of all students participating in an in-person USAC internship. This fee helps offset the costs of securing quality internship placements and helps provide a range of professional development activities, including an online internship seminar, career workshops, and panel discussions. The fee amount has not been finalized but will be announced in the near future.
Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site.
2021-22 App. Cycle
Summer Session I (5 weeks): Open
Summer Session II (4 weeks): Open
Summer Session I&II (9 weeks): Open
Minimum GPA: 2.5
English | Spanish | Basque
APUNE--Associación de Programas Universitarios Norteamericanos en España
Passport & Visa
Passport & Visa Information