Stellenbosch Courses - 2020 Semester 2: Jul – Dec
Studying abroad can be a more meaningful and invigorating learning experience than at home—both inside and outside of the classroom. You may be more curious and alert than you usually are so use this heightened energy to enhance your studies as well as your cultural and geographical explorations. You may also encounter different teaching styles and course processes; be prepared to adapt and to learn.
USAC’s partnership with Stellenbosch University provides you with a wide array of academic options. You will enroll in mainstream university courses alongside regular Stellenbosch students and may choose from additional courses offered through GEP - Global Education Programmes specifically for study abroad students. To help facilitate immersion with local students, USAC participants may either enroll in all mainstream courses, or in a combination of GEP and mainstream courses. You may only enroll in a maximum of 2 GEP courses while at Stellenbosch. Courses are subject to availability and host university approval of prerequisites.
USAC requires that you take one course designed to familiarize you with South Africa’s unique history and current social, cultural, and political climate. Past options have included:
- Sociology: Politics and Cultural Change in Contemporary South Africa (GEP)
- The Role of Gender, Culture and the State in South Africa (GEP)
- Transitional Justice in Africa (GEP)
- Overview of South African History (GEP)
- Introduction to Political Science and South African Politics (Mainstream)
- Survey of South African History (Mainstream)
- South Africa in the 20th Century (Mainstream)
Undergraduate instruction at Stellenbosch University is available in English. USAC students have a robust catalog of courses to choose from. The majority of courses are lectured in English, however a small number of courses may be lectured bilingually (English and Afrikaans). In such case, all study materials is available in English and a live translation service is offered.
Global Education Programmes(GEP)
GEP courses have been created specifically for international students and are offered in English only.
Recent GEP course offerings include:
- Beginning French, German, Spanish
- isiXhosa: Language and Culture
- Digital Photography and Picture Framing
- The Role of Gender, Culture, and State in South Africa
- Transitional Justice in Africa
Social Sciences and Other
- Sociology: Politics and Cultural Change in Contemporary South Africa
- Understanding HIV in South Africa: A Health and Social Justice Perspective
- Public Theology
- Equity, Leadership, and Transformation
- Overview of South African History
- Global Service Learning (GSL)
Mainstream courses comprise all the other courses offered by Stellenbosch University which form part of the university’s degree programs. USAC students must enroll in at least one Mainstream course
Courses in English are available in the following Faculties:
- Faculty of AgriSciences
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education (may be limited)
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Theology
Semester / Year-long
- GEP Courses and Descriptions
- Mainstream Courses and Descriptions: Course descriptions are available upon request. Contact your Program Advisor for more information.
As you review courses, keep in mind you can only enroll in two GEP courses maximum (the bulk of your course load will consist of Mainstream courses). In general, these descriptions are enough for your host university academic advisors to give preliminary approval for you to take courses.
Remember, you must also enroll in a USAC-selected course designed to familiarize you with South Africa's unique history and current social, cultural, and political climate while at Stellenbosch University. More information on your options to meet this requirement will be provided by your Program Advisor after acceptance to the program.
Course descriptions are available upon request. Contact your Program Advisor for more information.