Maastricht, Netherlands | 2017 Summer
Studying abroad can be a more meaningful and invigorating learning experience than at home—both inside and outside of the classroom. You may be more curious and alert than you usually are so use this heightened energy to enhance your studies as well as your cultural and geographical explorations. You may also encounter different teaching styles and course processes; be prepared to adapt and to learn.
Taught in English
USAC's partnership with Maastricht University allows you to focus your studies on the economic, political and socio-cultural aspects of Europe and European integration, or approach topics from a wider international perspective. The program is split into two 3-week instructional blocks. During the first block you may choose to enroll in one traditional classroom-based course or participate in a study tour for an additional fee. During the second block, all students enroll in one traditional course. You will earn between 10-12 ECTS (5-6 US credits) from Maastricht University on this six-week program.
Instructional Block I
Option 1: Traditional classroom-based courses (6-ECTS each/3 U.S. credits) Students who choose Option 1 will enroll in one of the following courses during the first block:
- Dutch Art History
- European Public Health in a Globalizing World: introducing policy, research and practice from a European healthcare, disease prevention and health promotion perspective
- Entrepreneurship: It's All About Creating Value
- Financial Market Reform in the European Union
- Intercultural Communication
- Marketing (Skills) for the 21st Century
- Medical Ethics
- Psychology in our World
- The European Union: Peace, Conflict, and Human Rights
Option 2: Western Europe Study Tour -- Belgium, England, France, Germany, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and Switzerland (4-ECTS/2 U.S. credits, additional fees apply)
The Western Europe Study Tour offers students a unique opportunity to explore Western Europe from the inside out, with a focus on doing business in the EU in light of fast changing political and economic conditions. You will get a first-hand look behind the scenes with site visits and organized lectures from policy makers, consultancy agencies and European business leaders. The Western Europe Study Tour takes you to the most important institutions of the EU, key European business and powerful financial organizations in major cities within several Western European nations.
- Economics & Business students: Introductory Microeconomics and /or Macroeconomics
- Political Science & IR students: Introduction to Political Science or International Relations
Advanced coursework in political science, history, or economics may be substituted with permission of Maastricht University's Center for European Studies.
Instructional Block II
Options I & II: Traditional classroom-based courses (6-ECTS each/3 U.S. credits)
All students will enroll in one of the following courses during the second block:
- Comparative Analysis of Global News Coverage
- Creating Health Literate Societies: Bridging the Gap of Inequality
- Doing Business in the Emerging Markets of Central and Eastern Europe
- Economics of European Integration: Challenges, policies & practices in the European business environment
- Europe since the Renaissance: The Making of a Continent and its Identity
- European Welfare State: Current Challenges and Perspective
- Law and Politics, Current Topics in the European Union
- Leadership and Management in a Global World
- Positive Psychology
Course descriptions are available upon request. Contact your Program Advisor for more information.