Seoul, Korea | 2017 Kookmin Spring
Studying abroad can be a more meaningful and invigorating learning experience than at home—both inside and outside of the classroom. You may be more curious and alert than you usually are so use this heightened energy to enhance your studies as well as your cultural and geographical explorations. You may also encounter different teaching styles and course processes; be prepared to adapt and to learn.
Areas of Study Available at Kookmin University
Through our agreement with Kookmin University, an array of courses will be made available for you to take. Course offerings are too numerous to be listed here, but areas of study believed to be of most interest to USAC students are included below as a sample of what the University offers. Courses are subject to availability and approval of prerequisites which are determined by Kookmin University.
- Most courses are taught in English.
- Some course areas listed below are only available to majors in that field.
- Although a maximum of 18 credits are allowed we recommend you enroll in 12-15 credits in order to have time to experience the local culture and develop friendships with locals.
Keep in mind that you must enroll in the equivalency of at least 12 US credits per semester (even if host university requirements are lower). Be sure to have plenty of primary and alternate course options in mind as schedules are subject to change and registration in your preferred courses is not guaranteed.
Grades may not be ready until one or two months after exams are completed; in some cases it may take longer. Check your Credits, Courses, and Transcripts document in Gateway for details specific to your host university. The transcript evaluation and grade reporting process at your home university will also take time after your overseas transcripts arrives. If you plan to study here during your senior year, review your home university requirements carefully to allow enough time for grades to be posted for graduation. Plan to work ahead with your academic advisor if you will be using your study abroad coursework to meet prerequisites back at home.
Architecture and Design
- Automotive and Transportation Design
- Entertainment Design
- Fashion Design
- Industrial Design—Recent courses have included: Universal Design, Design Presentation Technique, Design for Informational Equipment, Design for Sports Leisure
- Interior Design
- Metalwork and Jewelry
- Visual Communication Design—Recent courses have included: Type and Image, Introduction to Photographic Media, Visual Method, Introduction to Motion Design, Visual Essay and Image, Typography Based on Contents and System, Information Design
Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Chinese Studies and Language
- English Language and Literature
- Fine Arts—Recent courses have included: Introduction to Fine Art, History of Modern Art, Painting, Sculpture
- Japanese Studies and Language
- Journalism/Mass Communications and Advertising—Recent courses have included: Broadcast Journalism, Mass Media Theory, Persuasive Communication, Media Consumers, Global Marketing Communication, Advertising Research Methodology, Communication and Debate
- Korean Language and Literature—Recent courses have included: Basic Korean, Korean Conversation, Understanding Korean Discourse, Understanding Korean Grammar Through Film
- Law—Recent courses have included: International Law, Anglo-American Law, Criminology, Anglo-American Constitutional Law, Case Studies on US Law, Comparative Private Law, Understanding of Civil Law
- Music—Recent courses have included: History of Western Music, Voice, Piano Performance, Orchestral Instrument, Theory, Composition
- Performing Arts—Recent courses have included: Theatre, Cinema, Dance
- Political Science and International Relations—Recent courses have included: Local Politics, Politics in the Information Society, International Organizations
- Public Administration and Public Policy
- Russian Studies and Language
- Sociology—Recent courses have included: Sexuality and Society
- Theories of Democracy
- Western Thoughts on Ethics and Morality
Business, Commerce, and Economics
- Business Administration—Recent courses have included: Consumer Behavior, SCM and Logistics, Principles of Management, Principles of Accounting, Principles of Marketing, Operations Management, Financial Management, Management Information Systems, Financial Accounting
- Big Data and Statistics
- Economics—Recent courses have included: Macroeconomics, Contemporary Issues in Economics, Mathematics for Economic Analysis, International Trade Policy
- Management Information Systems—Recent courses have included: Business Project Management, Business Strategy and Information
Engineering and Computer Science
- Advanced Materials Engineering—Recent courses have included: Materials Science and Engineering, Semiconductor Devices and Physics, Introduction to Ceramics, Polymer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Magnetic Properties of Materials, Applied Electrochemistry, Instrumental Analysis for Materials Science
- Automotive Engineering—Recent courses have included: Introduction to Engineering Design, Structural Analysis, Digital Control, Automotive Electronic Control System Design, Convergence Dynamics, Convergence Electronic Circuit, Convergence Probability and Statistics
- Civil and Environmental Engineering—Recent courses have included: Advanced Structural Mechanics, Design of Wastewater Treatment Plants
- Computer Science—Recent courses have included: Embedded Systems Design
- Electrical Engineering—Recent courses have included: Circuit Theory, Applied Engineering Mathematics, Semiconductor Engineering, Microwave Circuit Design, Control Engineering
- Mechanical Systems Engineering—Recent courses have included: Engineering Materials, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Mechanical Vibration
- Bio and Nano Chemistry
- Foods and Nutrition—Recent courses have included: Human Physiology, Food Microbiology and Lab, Food Quantity Control and Evaluation, Food Service Management, Dietary Factors, Human Disease, and Gene Interaction
- Forestry, Environment, and Systems—Recent courses have included: Geographic Information Systems, Protection of Forests and Environment, Ecosystem Management
- Forest Products and Biotechnology—Recent courses have included: Molecular Biology, Applied Microbiology, Bionano New Materials
- Nano and Electronic Physics
Sport Science and Physical Education
- Health and Rehabilitation Science—Recent courses have included: Training Methods, Sports Statistics and Research
- Physical Education—Recent courses have included: Ethics in Sport
- Sport Education
- Sport Industry and Culture—Recent courses have included: Sport and Social Culture, Sport Facility Marketing, English in Sport Industry, Modern Society and Leisure Welfare
Kookmin University Course Listings
Available upon request