Internships for Viterbo, Italy
Due to heightened concerns about student health and safety we are immediately suspending internship placements, volunteer work, and service-learning projects in health care facilities at all USAC program sites for the remainder of the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 academic terms. We will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision regarding the availability of these placements during the Fall 2020 semester in the coming weeks. If you have any questions, please contact the USAC internship team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships in Viterbo are offered during the summer, semester, and yearlong terms. Those interested in doing a summer internship must attend both summer sessions. Summer internships are limited and only one credit.
Internships are optional and included in your program fees. They range from 1-3 credits and are counted as part of your academic credit load, in addition to the minimum credit requirement. Interns earn credit but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills. You will be working in an authentic local environment, with exposure to the Italian language. While Italian language ability is not necessary to complete an internship, it is helpful.
Past internship placements in Viterbo have included:
- Teaching Practicum: placement in local schools teaching English as a second language. No need for proficiency nor knowledge of Italian. The activity in class is supervised and monitored by the Italian teacher and the meetings for conversation outside of class are supervised and monitored by one coordinator of the project (Italian student intern and/or one of the USAC staff). The conversation is done in English.
- Journalism Internship: work for a local regional magazine under the mentorship of an experienced editor and learn more about the processes of magazine production and editorial practices. Prerequisite: two semesters of college Italian and basic journalism courses; co-enrollment in an on-site journalism class. .
- International activities internship: coordinate intercultural activities through the organization of international events for both Italian and international students at the host institution. Prerequisite: two semesters of college Italian and basic knowledge of computer graphic design software.
- Translation: translate materials and write articles for a local tourist website. Placement is not guaranteed by USAC, rather it will be determined by your application and supporting materials and an interview with the internship sponsor on site.
*Placement with a particular internship provider is not guaranteed.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency (some placements)
A $200 refundable fee is charged and returned upon successful completion of the internship. Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site.