During the semester, the Students’ Representative Council organizes social life and entertainment on campus. Students maintain interaction with each other and the wider community through recognized clubs and societies. There are many sports available on campus, and facilities to play soccer, tennis, billiards, track, basketball, and so on. Students may use the swimming pool for free. Students also have the opportunity to participate in a buddy program where local Ghanaian students help USAC students adjust to the culture and show them around the campus and city.
Weekly and monthly group activities are organized to provide the time to share and reflect on your experience as well as to provide additional fun social events. A weekly Wellness Hour is a chance to get together and discuss topical issues, as well as reflect and support one another in this experience. Monthly birthday celebrations are also held with ice cream and cake. You will also partner with a local Ghanaian buddy who will show you around the city, introduce you to the culture, and might even show you a local dance or how to make a traditional dish.
Cultural Immersion Opportunities
- Take an African drumming and dance class
- Join a club or society at the University of Ghana
- Join the University sports team
- Join in the Alliance Francaise Cultural Activities
- Get involved at the Center for Democracy and Development
- Participate in the volleyball and swim teams
- Volunteer at children’s homes, orphanages, refugee camps, and secondary schools