Internships for San Ramón, Costa Rica
Due to heightened concerns about student health and safety we are suspending internship placements, volunteer work, and service-learning projects in health care facilities at all USAC program sites for the 2020-21 academic year. If you have any questions, please contact the USAC internship team at email@example.com.
Internships in San Ramón are offered during the summer (limited), semester and yearlong terms. Internships are optional and included in your program fees. They range from 1-3 credits and are counted as part of your credit load. Interns earn credit, but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills. You will be working in a non-English speaking environment and must be able to communicate at an advanced level (Track III). Upon request USAC will identify options for English speaking internships.
San Ramón offers many possibilities for internships at the local hospital in medicine, hospital administration and maintenance, microbiology, and pharmacy. At the university there are many options like the day care center, Scientific High School, the University Museum and research assistance.
Past internship placements in San Ramón have included:
- Veterinary clinic*
- Wildlife ecology research institute
- University community service projects
- Biological research in ornithology, botany, plant taxonomy, use of plants, and more*
- Casa Infantil ("children's house"; teaching English and helping with activities)
- The city of San Ramón Municipal Government (including projects with the carbon-neutral committee)
- Elementary and secondary education
- Teaching English as a Second Language*
- Museo Regional de San Ramón
- Senior citizen center
- Non-governmental organizations/non-profits (including organizations focused on climate change, sustainable development, children in poverty)
- Spider monkey rehabilitation and release center
- Health Management*: past interns have organized community events, assisted with the hospital strategic plan, worked in the hospital butterfly garden, provided English translation
- Hospital/Health Clinics* (departments have included anesthesiology, microbiology lab, outpatient care, butterfly garden, physical therapy, external medicine, pediatrics, diabetic department, psychology, optometry, pharmacy, strategic planning)
- Centro José Figueres Ferrer, a local museum and cultural center
- Hotel Villa Blanca
- Environmental Studies/Climate Change*: past interns have worked with a local NGO called ARCA (Asociación Ramonense para la Conservación del Ambiente) and the Universidad de Costa Rica to research and organize events to help take positive action against climate change.
- Florex*: environmentally-friendly cleaning products company
Examples marked with an asterisk have summer internships available; you'll need to attend both Summer Sessions I & II to participate.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency (some placements)
Beginning in Summer 2021, a non-refundable internship placement fee will be required of all students participating in an in-person USAC internship. This fee helps offset the costs of securing quality internship placements and helps provide a range of professional development activities, including an online internship seminar, career workshops, and panel discussions. The fee amount has not been finalized but will be announced in the near future.
Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site.