Activities for Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Extracurricular opportunities while you are on the Puntarenas program include indoor and outdoor soccer, beach volleyball, and workshops. USAC student interaction in Puntarenas is primarily with intercambios, local Costa Rican conversation partners. This is a great opportunity to practice your Spanish. Many student activities such as dinners, dancing, and volunteer projects also include Ticos for additional language and cultural exposure. Day trips to San José to visit museums or to attend performances are also planned as the opportunity arises. Weekly social activities are planned, including soccer, yoga, and movie nights, for which all students are encouraged and welcome.
You can also be immersed in the local culture by volunteering at the Marine Park and sanctuary for injured marine animals, at the local community college to teach English, with at-risk children, or at a nearby preschool. In addition to USAC-planned events, you’ll also plan activities with your Tico friends and host families.
Cultural Immersion Opportunities
- Volunteer at the Marine Park: lead tours, care for sick turtles and other animals, assist in the lab
- Volunteer at the local community college teaching English or work with at-risk children at the nearby daycare
- Participate in beach soccer, volleyball, movie night with Tico friends and surfing
- Activities with local students including ice cream socials, assisting in classes, and soccer
- Plan activities with Tico friends and host families
- Take day trips to San José to visit museums and theatre