Internships for Florianópolis, Brazil
Due to heightened concerns about student health and safety and the need to limit student exposure outside of classes and USAC-sponsored activities, we have decided to not offer in-person internships or service-learning activities during the Spring 2021 semester. Instead, Spring 2021 internships will be offered in a virtual format through USAC’s Global Perspectives Virtual Internship program, even for students attending in-person programs abroad. For more information on dates, costs, and placement options, please see our virtual internship program page.
We hope to resume in-person internships in Summer 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact the USAC internship team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships in Florianópolis are offered during the summer, semester, and yearlong terms. Internships are optional and are included in your program fees. They range from 1-3 credits and are counted as part of your credit load. Interns earn credit, but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills.
Internship placements in Florianópolis include:
- Parque Estadual Do Rio Vermelho (PAERVE) - A conservation unit working to preserve the Atlantic Forest, the sandbank vegetation, and their fauna as well as keeping natural water resources balanced - 2 positions available.
- Instituto Chico Mendes de Conservação da Biodiversidade - Brazilian government organization promoting environmental protection and preservation, and operating conservation research units such as the Carijós Ecological Station - 2 positions available.
- Instituto Çarakura - Environmental education, forest restoration, management of conservation units, ecological gardening, ecological sanitation, bioconstruction, and permaculture - 2 positions available.
- Community Vegetable Garden Pacuca - Part of the local neighbors association (Amocam), which promotes organic farming, a healthy diet, and social integration - 2 positions available.
- Resultados Digitais - A consulting company that advises businesses on digital marketing projects - 2 positions available.
Education/English Language Instruction
- UFSC Colégio de Aplicação - English language teaching - 2 positions available.
- Casa São José - Before and after school program for low income children - 2 positions available.
- Cooperativa de Pais, Amigos e Portadores de Deficiência (COEPAD) - Provides workshops for those with intellectual disabilities - 2 positions available
- Círculos de Hospitalidade (PLAM Project) - Portuguese language teaching program at an NGO fostering connections between host communities and refugees - 2 positions available.
- Fundação Vidal Ramos - Social welfare research and education programs for children and teens from low income families - 2 positions available.
- Grupo de Apoio a Imigrantes e Refugiados em Florianópolis e Região - An organization promoting activities to help immigrants and refugees - 2 positions available.
- Centro Cultural Escrava Anastácia - A cultural center that provides classes and workshops for young people - 2 positions available.
- Espaço Pixurum - An organization that provides support for the homeless, immigrants, and refugees - 2 positions available.
*Placement with a particular internship provider is not guaranteed.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency (some placements)
Beginning in Summer 2021, a non-refundable internship placement fee will be required of all students participating in an in-person USAC internship. This fee helps offset the costs of securing quality internship placements and helps provide a range of professional development activities, including an online internship seminar, career workshops, and panel discussions. The fee amount has not been finalized but will be announced in the near future.
Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site. To intern in a Portuguese-speaking environment, you must be able to communicate at an advanced language level.
2021-22 App. cycle
Summer Session I (5 weeks): Open
Summer Session II (5 weeks): Open
Summer Session I&II (10 weeks): Open
Minimum GPA: 2.5
English | Portuguese
BRASA: Brazilian Studies Association
Passport & Visa
Passport & Visa Information