Internships for Florianópolis, Brazil
Due to heightened concerns about student health and safety we are immediately suspending internship placements, volunteer work, and service-learning projects in health care facilities at all USAC program sites for the remainder of the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 academic terms. We will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision regarding the availability of these placements during the Fall 2020 semester in the coming weeks. If you have any questions, please contact the USAC internship team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships in Florianópolis are offered during the summer, semester, and yearlong terms. Internships are optional and are included in your program fees. They range from 1-3 credits and are counted as part of your credit load. Interns earn credit, but no financial compensation. In addition to professional and academic experience, internships are a great way to immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals, and practice your language skills.
Internship placements in Florianópolis include:
- Parque Estadual Do Rio Vermelho (PAERVE) - A conservation unit working to preserve the Atlantic Forest, the sandbank vegetation, and their fauna as well as keeping natural water resources balanced - 2 positions available.
- Instituto Chico Mendes de Conservação da Biodiversidade - Brazilian government organization promoting environmental protection and preservation, and operating conservation research units such as the Carijós Ecological Station - 2 positions available.
- Instituto Çarakura - Environmental education, forest restoration, management of conservation units, ecological gardening, ecological sanitation, bioconstruction, and permaculture - 2 positions available.
- Community Vegetable Garden Pacuca - Part of the local neighbors association (Amocam), which promotes organic farming, a healthy diet, and social integration - 2 positions available.
- Resultados Digitais - A consulting company that advises businesses on digital marketing projects - 2 positions available.
Education/English Language Instruction
- UFSC Colégio de Aplicação - English language teaching - 2 positions available.
- Casa São José - Before and after school program for low income children - 2 positions available.
- Cooperativa de Pais, Amigos e Portadores de Deficiência (COEPAD) - Provides workshops for those with intellectual disabilities - 2 positions available
- Círculos de Hospitalidade (PLAM Project) - Portuguese language teaching program at an NGO fostering connections between host communities and refugees - 2 positions available.
- Fundação Vidal Ramos - Social welfare research and education programs for children and teens from low income families - 2 positions available.
- Grupo de Apoio a Imigrantes e Refugiados em Florianópolis e Região - An organization promoting activities to help immigrants and refugees - 2 positions available.
- Centro Cultural Escrava Anastácia - A cultural center that provides classes and workshops for young people - 2 positions available.
- Espaço Pixurum - An organization that provides support for the homeless, immigrants, and refugees - 2 positions available.
*Placement with a particular internship provider is not guaranteed.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Junior standing (at time of internship)
- Foreign language proficiency (some placements)
A $200 refundable fee is charged and returned upon successful completion of the internships. Placement is not guaranteed by USAC; rather it will be determined by your application, supporting materials, and an interview with the internship sponsor on site. To intern in a Portuguese-speaking environment, you must be able to communicate at an advanced language level.