Program Highlights for Florianópolis, Brazil
- Study at one of Brazil's most prestigious and popular universities, located on a beautiful island in the south of the country.
- Live on a beautiful subtropical island with more than 40 beaches, rainforest, lakes, and quiet fishing villages.
- Discover the local and hidden charms of a historical island which has developed its own unique cultural heritage.
- Participate in a tremendous variety of outdoor activities including hiking, diving, surfing, sandboarding, sailing, and whale-watching.
- Experience the thrill of living in one of the fastest-growing and most dynamic countries in the world, with opportunities to travel to the Amazon, Rio de Janeiro, and Iguaçu Falls.
- The USAC Resident Director and staff are present on-site full-time to welcome and support you during your term abroad.
Why Study in Florianópolis?
The Florianópolis program offers students the opportunity to immerse themselves in the incredibly diverse and dynamic culture of Brazil while living on a beautiful sub-tropical island and studying at one of South America's most prestigious universities. The program is ideal for students who want to learn about the world's fifth-largest country, one of the fastest-growing economies, and its diverse mix of European, African, and indigenous cultures. Learn an old European language with a unique modern twist while soaking up the beautiful weather and sandy white beaches of the southeastern Brazilian coast. Influences from centuries of immigration collide and are reborn on this island which has retained and developed a culture that is different from the mainland and unique to Brazil. Locals mingle with visitors from Europe and the Americas who choose the island's charms and almost perpetually warm climate. Near the thriving old colonial center, you will study Portuguese and a range of optional courses at Brazil's third largest university. All of these factors create a fascinating learning and social atmosphere for USAC students.
This program focuses on academic areas in which Brazil is a world leader: Cultural Studies, Global Economy, and Natural Resource Management. You will have the opportunity to study the complexities of contemporary Brazilian society through a wide selection of courses in English, as well as through your own interactions with the host culture. In addition, an intensive Portuguese language course is offered to all students to create an essential base with which to better understand the country. The intensive approach will allow you to complete up to two years of university foreign language coursework in only one semester or one year of language coursework in one summer. You may stay for one semester or a full year. The summer Florianópolis program offers one 3-week session (Session I) and one 5-week session (Session II) which can be taken individually or combined for an 8-week session.
The academic courses are only one part of the intended value of your study abroad experience. Participation in formal and informal activities, such as field trips and visits to cultural events and local festivals, constitute an integral and enriching part of your stay. During each semester you will also have the opportunity to join an optional tour to the stunning destinations of Iguaçu Falls and Buenos Aires (Fall) and Minas Gerais (Spring or Summer).
2022-23 App. cycle
- Summer Session I (5-weeks): Open
- Deadline: April 1
- Summer Session II (5-weeks): Open
- Deadline: May 1
- Summer Session I&II (10-weeks): Open
- Deadline: April 1
- Fall/Yearlong: Open
- Deadline: May 1
- Spring: Open
- Deadline: Oct 1
Preferred GPA: 2.5
English | Portuguese
BRASA: Brazilian Studies Association